Church of St. John in Rrash-Kullaj

Church of St. John in Rrash-Kullaj

It is located in the village of Rrash-Kullaj, not far from Gruemira. The church is known as a very ancient building, more than a thousand years old. This building is a sacred place visited by thousands of pilgrims and has the same values as the Church of Lac.

The ruins of a church or monastery that we see today near the village of Hysaj (Gruemirë), were once known as one of the important objects of the civilization of the Christian (Catholic) faith. Here once, according to various legends and documents, there was the Church of St. John, where often because of the size of the building and above all the function it performed, it was called the Monastery of St. John and belonged to the Benedictine Order. According to the documents found today, the Church or Monastery of St. John is around 900 years old. It is for such an age that Ermanno Armao’s book “shows”; countries, churches, rivers, mountains and various toponyms of an ancient map of northern Albania. To concretize this, from page 140 of the book we are “quoting”: the church and the assembly lead to distant times. A first document of 1166 mentions the abbot of the church of Sancti Johannis (St. John at lower Rash). The abbey enjoyed from time to time the protection of the princes … and (later) of the Republic of Venice … “The Croatian Albanologist Milan Shuflaj writes that at the foot of Mount Maranaj, in the Shtoj area (Strilaleo) was located the abbey of St. John.

About Author

laxaro